Orion Network Licensing Platform as an OEM License Solution
Orion OEM is the Orion network licensing platform offered as a complete OEM license solution under an annual subscription license. Orion OEM includes the Orion license server and all Orion client SDKs. All Orion server deployment options are available to you: you may host one or more instances of the Orion server in addition to / instead of redistributing it to your enterprise customers. Orion OEM includes the option to port the Orion C/C++ client library to non-standard platforms for a nominal additional fee. You also have available the option to extend the Orion server functionality. Orion OEM is best suited for you if you require maximum deployment flexibiltiy and / or you need to customize Orion for your unique requirements, and / or you prefer to directly manage the hosting or redistribution of the Orion server for privacy reasons.
Orion OEM provides you with the flexibility to adapt to to your customer’s deployment constraints. Where feasible, you can host the Orion server in order to reduce the operations costs associated with redistribution. At the same time, you have the option to redistribute the Orion server to your enterprise customers when they prohibit any Internet access or otherwise prefer to autonomously manage the Orion server installations.
The full range of Orion’s capabilities, capacity and language / platform support are available with Orion OEM. This enables you to address virtually any licensing, capacity and performance requirements without constraint.
Customizing and Future-Proofing
Sometimes even a comprehensive solution may be insufficient for unanticipated requirements. With the Orion OEM license, you have the freedom to extend the Orion server’s functionality, for example to add custom plug-ins and host custom-developed administration user interfaces. You also have the option to custom-port the Orion C/C++ client library to non-standard platforms for a nominal additional fee.
Orion is a versatile, highly-scalable and highly-available Internet-protocol based network licensing platform that is the underpinning for Agilis’ licensing solutions:
- The Orion OEM solution for medium-to-large enterprise software vendors, cloud service providers and embedded system / hardware system vendors;
- The Acropolis solution that includes an Agilis-hosted network licensing service with the Orion OEM solution; and
- The elastic cloud-based Nephele monthly-subscription software licensing service for startup and small-business ISVs.
As a network licensing platform, Orion can simultaneously function as a redistributed or hosted product activation server, floating license server, complex-configuration license server and software asset and activity tracking server, to protect and manage licenses for applications, plug-ins and cloud/mobile application servers implemented in multiplatform C/C++, native Java or .NET languages. Built-in platform support for C/C++ applications includes Linux, Windows, Mac OSX and Solaris 32/64-bit architectures. In addition, Agilis’ custom porting program enables rapid porting of the Orion client library to esoteric embedded system platforms and flash memory based systems.
Orion’s licensing capabilities include online and offline product activation, floating licensing and enterprise pools, for both named and anonymous users. License configurations include absolute and relative time limited licensing, metered licensing, standalone and pooled features, and complex configurations of licenses and features.
Orion’s security features are designed to be non-intrusive: without compromising licensing security, you can delegate functions such as license relocation to your customers in order to enhance their user experience (a key issue with licensing systems) and at the same time eliminate your licensing operations costs. With Orion’s product activation capabilities in conjunction with Orion’s fuzzy machine fingerprinting library, node locking is automatic and at the same time secure and flexible – you control the level of strictness of node lock checks with respect to hardware configuration changes.
The Orion server maintains a comprehensive audit trail that enables you to audit your customers’ activities as well as run comprehensive analytics reports for business intelligence.
To support proactive operations and sales opportunity management, Orion provides a number of operational reporting and real time alert capabilities. These may be used to proactively alert sales personnel of expiring subscription or trial licenses, generate reports on expiring and / or other licenses, and alert sales and / or operations personnel of events of interest such as customer license activations and system issues, respectively.
- Desktop applications (Internet-connected / disconnected)
- Server applications (multithreaded, multiprocess, clustered)
- Plug-ins (desktop and server)
- Cloud server applications
- Enterprise desktop applications
- Enterprise server applications
- Embedded system applications
- Hardware / software appliances
Application Language / Platform Support
- Multiplatform C/C++ client libraries for 32/64-bit Windows on Intel, 32/64-bit Linux on Intel (three individual sets of distributions for Ubuntu, SUSE and Red Hat editions), 32/64-bit Solaris on Intel / SPARC, 32/64-bit Mac OS X Intel / PPC
- Native multiplatform Java client library
- .NET languages (C#, Visual Basic .NET, …) on Windows via ActiveX DLL
- C/C++ embedded-platform client library (custom-developed via Agilis custom porting program
- Deployable to any Java-enabled platform
- Redistributed to enterprise customer
- Hosted by you
- Hosted by Agilis (Acropolis)
- Embedded directly in license-protected Java server application
- Deploy on Intranet / WAN / VPN
- Deploy over Internet w/ Firewall / Proxy Server / DMZ
- Unix shell and DOS command line administration tools for scripting
- Language-independent Web Services administration API
- Java-based administration APIs
- XML-based license configuration
- Extensible APIs and data structures
- License server: server programming interface for extensibility
- Demo starter applications with source code
- Single-user desktop
- Single-user server
- Concurrent-user desktop
- Concurrent-user server
- Named-user product activation
- Named-user floating
- Anonymous-user product activation
- Anonymous-user floating
- Weighted-anonymous-user floating
- Weighted-anonymous-user product activation
- Composite license models
License Parameters and Configurations:
- Absolute time limited with configurable grace and warning threshold
- Relative time limited with configurable grace and warning threshold
- Single trial license for anonymous product download sites
- Metered / quota limited with configurable grace and warning threshold
- Concurrent user limit
- Automatic leased licensing with revocability
- Composite, nested, recursive licenses
- License sharing control
- Enterprise license pools
- Extensible client library functionality
- Extensible license server functionality
- Complex multiparameter extensible node locking
- System clock tamper detection
- Metered state rollback detection
- Protection from license cloning by end customer
- Audit trail of all licensing activities
- Protection from client library spoofing
- Protection from man-in-the-middle attacks (confidentiality, authentication, integrity, non-repudiation)
- Public key encryption for secure network communication
- Secure offline license activation / deactivation
- Rules-based host access control
- Operational and historical reports
- Screen-viewable / downloadable / APIs / command line
- Audit trail with configurable audit verbosity
- Historical audit reporting
- Rules-based real time event alerts
- Historical aggregate audit reporting
- Operational reporting
- Operational aggregate reporting
- Expiring-license reports
- Expiring-license and activation real time alerts
For medium/large companies, we use an annual value-based subscription pricing model, which means we price our licensing solutions based on their value to you, measured in protected revenues. Our initial / minimum pricing is also a function of your company size and any special requirements you may have. Significant discounts are available to qualified customers. If you are a small/medium ISV, you may instead opt to evaluate our Orion-based Nephele monthly-subscription licensing service.
During the evaluation, we offer a complimentary web conference to review your licensing architecture and your requirements.
To request an evaluation and a price quote, please fill in the following form and an account executive will connect with you with further details.
Since Orion supports Internet-based product activation and floating licensing with the same client library and a single application integration, we didn’t have to ask Engineering to make changes to our application when we added floating licensing from a redistributed license server to our hosted product-activation licensing deployment.”