Flexible and Secure Software License Management
Flexible Deployment Options
Deploy your Orion license servers according to your operational cost and deployment environment constraints: redistribute the server to your enterprise end-customer LAN, WAN or VPN environment; host the server at your data center (even for floating licensing), and / or let Agilis host Orion for you as part of the Acropolis solution.
Versatile Licensing Capabilities
Integrate Orion with virtually any type of application on a wide range of platforms. With a single application integration, realize a wide range of licensing models including product activation and floating licensing, for absolute / relative time limited licensing, usage-based metered licensing, feature and leased licensing.
Give your customer all the licensing freedom and flexibility you want – without risk to your revenue or inflicting operational overhead on you or your customer. Both your legitimate end customers and your operations team will appreciate Orion’s frictionless automation and remote-control security.
Orion is a versatile, highly-scalable and highly-available Internet-protocol based network licensing platform that is the underpinning for Agilis’ licensing solutions:
- The Orion OEM solution for medium-to-large enterprise software vendors, cloud service providers and embedded system / hardware system vendors;
- The Acropolis solution that includes an Agilis-hosted network licensing service with the Orion OEM solution; and
- The elastic cloud-based Nephele monthly-subscription software license management service for startup and small-business ISVs.
As a network licensing platform, Orion can simultaneously function as a redistributed or hosted product activation server, floating license server, complex-configuration license server and software asset and activity tracking server, to protect and manage licenses for applications, plug-ins and cloud/mobile application servers implemented in multiplatform C/C++, native Java or .NET languages. Built-in platform support for C/C++ applications includes Linux, Windows, Mac OSX and Solaris 32/64-bit architectures. In addition, Agilis’ custom porting program enables rapid porting of the Orion client library to esoteric embedded system platforms and flash memory based systems.
Orion’s licensing capabilities include online and offline product activation, floating licensing and enterprise pools, for both named and anonymous users. License configurations include absolute and relative time limited licensing, metered licensing, standalone and pooled features, and complex configurations of licenses and features.
Orion’s security features are designed to be non-intrusive: without compromising licensing security, you can delegate functions such as license relocation to your customers in order to enhance their user experience (a key issue with licensing systems) and at the same time eliminate your licensing operations costs. With Orion’s product activation capabilities in conjunction with Orion’s fuzzy machine fingerprinting library, node locking is automatic and at the same time secure and flexible – you control the level of strictness of node lock checks with respect to hardware configuration changes.
The Orion server maintains a comprehensive audit trail that enables you to audit your customers’ activities as well as run comprehensive analytics reports for business intelligence.
To support proactive operations and sales opportunity management, Orion provides a number of operational reporting and real time alert capabilities. These may be used to proactively alert sales personnel of expiring subscription or trial licenses, generate reports on expiring and / or other licenses, and alert sales and / or operations personnel of events of interest such as customer license activations and system issues, respectively.
- Desktop applications (Internet-connected / disconnected)
- Server applications (multithreaded, multiprocess, clustered)
- Plug-ins (desktop and server)
- Cloud server applications
- Enterprise desktop applications
- Enterprise server applications
- Embedded system applications
- Hardware / software appliances
Application Language / Platform Support
- Multiplatform C/C++ client libraries for 32/64-bit Windows on Intel, 32/64-bit Linux on Intel (three individual sets of distributions for Ubuntu, SUSE and Red Hat editions), 32/64-bit Solaris on Intel / SPARC, 32/64-bit Mac OS X Intel / PPC
- Native multiplatform Java client library
- .NET languages (C#, Visual Basic .NET, …) on Windows via ActiveX DLL
- C/C++ embedded-platform client library (custom-developed via Agilis custom porting program
- Deployable to any Java-enabled platform
- Redistributed to enterprise customer
- Hosted by you
- Hosted by Agilis (Acropolis)
- Embedded directly in license-protected Java server application
- Deploy on Intranet / WAN / VPN
- Deploy over Internet w/ Firewall / Proxy Server / DMZ
- Unix shell and DOS command line administration tools for scripting
- Language-independent Web Services administration API
- Java-based administration APIs
- XML-based license configuration
- Extensible APIs and data structures
- License server: server programming interface for extensibility
- Demo starter applications with source code
- Single-user desktop
- Single-user server
- Concurrent-user desktop
- Concurrent-user server
- Named-user product activation
- Named-user floating
- Anonymous-user product activation
- Anonymous-user floating
- Weighted-anonymous-user floating
- Weighted-anonymous-user product activation
- Composite license models
License Parameters and Configurations:
- Absolute time limited with configurable grace and warning threshold
- Relative time limited with configurable grace and warning threshold
- Single trial license for anonymous product download sites
- Metered / quota limited with configurable grace and warning threshold
- Concurrent user limit
- Automatic leased licensing with revocability
- Composite, nested, recursive licenses
- License sharing control
- Enterprise license pools
- Extensible client library functionality
- Extensible license server functionality
- Complex multiparameter extensible node locking
- System clock tamper detection
- Metered state rollback detection
- Protection from license cloning by end customer
- Audit trail of all licensing activities
- Protection from client library spoofing
- Protection from man-in-the-middle attacks (confidentiality, authentication, integrity, non-repudiation)
- Public key encryption for secure network communication
- Secure offline license activation / deactivation
- Rules-based host access control
- Operational and historical reports
- Screen-viewable / downloadable / APIs / command line
- Audit trail with configurable audit verbosity
- Historical audit reporting
- Rules-based real time event alerts
- Historical aggregate audit reporting
- Operational reporting
- Operational aggregate reporting
- Expiring-license reports
- Expiring-license and activation real time alerts
For medium/large companies, we use an annual value-based subscription pricing model, which means we price our licensing solutions based on their value to you, measured in protected revenues. Our initial / minimum pricing is also a function of your company size and any special requirements you may have. Significant discounts are available to qualified customers. If you are a small/medium ISV, you may instead opt to evaluate our Orion-based Nephele monthly-subscription licensing service.
During the evaluation, we offer a complimentary web conference to review your licensing architecture and your requirements.
To request an evaluation and a price quote, please fill in the following form and an account executive will connect with you with further details.
Orion Software License Management Features and Benefits
Product activation with Orion: frictionless, end-customer-friendly, enterprise-customer friendly, secure
Orion’s product activation capability offers the following benefits that conventional product activation solutions do not:
- frictionless: unlike license key based systems, or even competitors’ product activation systems, activating and returning licenses is an effortless experience for your customers.
- end-customer friendly: Your customers can even autonomously recover licenses from lost or failed machines if you allow them to do so.
- enterprise-customer friendly: you can assign a pool of licenses (as opposed to issuing large numbers of multiple individual licenses) to your enterprise end customer, whose users can autonomously obtain their individual licenses up to the designated limit.
- secure: all the above capabilities are designed to enhance the user experience without compromising licensing security.
Auditing, reporting, analytics and real time alerts
Orion provides a comprehensive set of operational reports that enable you to track the current state of your licenses, such as expiring subscription licenses. All licensing and license administration activities are also captured in an audit trail that may be consulted to pinpoint specific actions by specific individuals as part of an auditing process, as well as to obtain historical and analytic reports for gaining insights into your business. To support proactive operations and sales opportunity management, Orion includes a configurable rules-based real time alert system that can be used to alert sales representatives to trial-license activations and expiring licenses, and operations personnel to operations-level events such as attempted security breaches and capacity limits.
Floating licensing with Orion: scalable, flexible license server deployment options, secure
Unlike traditional floating license solutions that are based on heartbeats and in-memory storage, Orion’s floating licensing capability offers the following important operational and security benefits due to its unique architecture based on stateless http protocol combined with object relational database technology:
- scalable for the cloud: each Orion service running under an Orion server instance can support millions of concurrent user licenses over the Internet, Intranet, WAN or VPN.
- named floating users: at the administrator’s discretion, floating users may be pre-registered named users.
- flexible degree of “float”: there is flexibility in what it means to obtain a floating license, yielding a better fit with operational requirements.
- sophisticated floating models for sophisticated requirements: Orion’s floating license model includes a number of additional capabilities that are not available elsewhere, for example multiple-pool named+anonymous user floating licenses.
- deployment flexibility: in contrast to traditional floating license servers, you are not required to redistribute a license server to each LAN environment of your customer, although this is certainly permitted.
The Orion license server is the foundation for three software license management solutions
The Orion OEM solution is a packaging of the Orion network licensing platform as a product. It is most appropriate for you if you prefer to host and redistribute the Orion license server, and / or you have significant customization needs or extraordinarily high capacity requirements.
The Acropolis solution is the Orion OEM license combined with hosting of the Orion license server by Agilis. Acropolis solves the problem of eliminating server downtime risk, operating expenses and infrastructure costs associated with operating a license server.
Nephele is an affordable and elastic hosted Orion software license management service that is offered on a monthly subscription plan. Nephele enables startup or small business ISVs to begin with an inexpensive monthly payment and seamlessly scale up as their market share grows.